Ah the glamorous life of the work-from-office mom…run around like a complete crazy person every morning getting everybody dressed, fed, lunches packed, backpacks ready, you presentable, coffee poured, temper-tantrum calmed, and, and, and… It’s no wonder that we’re the first to ignore our needs to get everybody else out the door! A lot of the time this ends up looking like the drive-thru at Starbucks and rolling up to the office without a plan to fuel your day.
Is this you? I get it!
This is why I make sure my office desk drawer is stocked with nutrient-dense but non-perishable foods. An annoying colleague wait until noon to schedule a 1:00 meeting (again) that will ruin your chances of going out to get lunch? Nope! I got oatmeal and protein powder on hand. Client drama spike mid-morning? Nope! I’m ready to conquer with almonds, cashews, tuna packets and beef jerky!
I bring my breakfast and lunch to the office everyday built around my “drawer staples” but when life gets in the way, I can still eat when hunger strikes.
Here is a list of all my favorite snacks that I either always or sometimes keep in my drawer at work. Some are intentionally heartier than others so I can make into a meal if I absolutely have to. Remember, this is simply a fall-back plan and not your main fuel for the day.
Favorite Office Desk Drawer Staples
- Amazing Grass protein powder packs (my usual at-home brand is Orgain, but I feel like Amazing Grass blends so easy with just water and a shaker cup that this is my at-work brand for when I have no choice but to make this a meal.)
- Starkish Tuna Packets (add this with some crackers or whole grain chips and you’re set!)
- Gluten-free oatmeal packets
- Orgain Collagen Peptides (I like to enjoy in the afternoons with decaf tea)
- Liquid Stevia (Because let’s be real, offices only ever have Splenda)
- Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts (Add this to oatmeal, salads, etc. to get extra fat and protein.)
- Dry Roasted Almonds
- Dry Roasted Cashews
- GoMacro Bars
- Gluten-free granola
- Beef Sticks
- Simple Mills Almond Flour Crackers (on their own or pair with tuna packets)
- Multigrain chips like Food Should Taste Good or Trader Joe’s Veggie & Flaxseed Chips
- Herbal and/or decaf tea
- Coffee kCups (If your office has a kCup machine but no good flavors)
- LaCroix (my former colleague often kept a case under her desk!)
What are some of your favorite office desk-drawer staples?