With my carb-cycling program, I am always on the lookout for recipes with high protein and quality carbohydrates. So when my friend, Sue Parke of Sparke Fitness, introduced me to this recipe from PopSugar Fitness for Vegan Nice Cream Sandwiches, I was immediately intrigued with using chickpeas as the dough base for grainless peanut butter chocolate chip cookies!
In my typical fashion, I’m incapable of following recipes the way they are originally written. As a chocolate chip cookie lover, I believe the cookie should remain the sole star of the show and shouldn’t have to share the stage with ice cream…particularly banana nice cream…so I immediately ditched that aspect. I reduced the amount of vanilla extract, so you may want to play with that according to taste. I don’t have agave nectar, and I don’t like honey, so I chose 100% pure organic maple syrup as my sweetener. I wasn’t happy with the fiber stats, so I added flaxseeds to my recipe to lower the net carbs. And, finally, I added more chickpeas and yielded 18 cookies (versus PopSugar’s 6!) so that the macros were more in my favor.
My kids and I enjoy this recipe for Grainless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies immensely and love that it’s super quick to make! These cookies taste best straight out of the fridge. They make for an excellent grab-and go snack or pair with some plain Siggi’s yogurt for breakfast.
Grainless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Preheat oven to 350
- 2 15 oz cans chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans)
- 2/3 cup real peanut butter (nuts & salt only!)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4T 100% pure organic maple syrup
- 1T flaxseeds
- 2/3 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips (like Enjoy Life)
- Put chocolate chips to the side.
- Blend all other ingredients together in a food processor.
- Hand stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop a small ball of batter per cookie (~2T worth) and place on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. I used an ice cream scoop!
- Flatten each cookie with a spatula.
- Bake for 10 mins.
Stats for 1 cookie according to the recipe builder in LoseIt: 159 calories, 8.1g fat; 19 carbs; 4 g fiber; 8.3g sugar; 5g protein